Tuesday, July 17, 2007

The Simpsons Movie


So, of course I am going to see the Simpsons movie. At one point I could have been a contender for #1 fan, but over the past 8 or so years, the show has suffered such a drsatic falloff from what it once was, that at this point I don't even watch the new episodes. But I will stand by the statement that seasons 3-9 were quite possibly the best episodic comedy ever created for TV. There are plenty of super hilarious shows out there, then and now, but I challenge you to find a show that consistently hit the mark, every.single.time out during those 6 seasons.

Every joke was spot on, and wuold usually have a 2nd punchlin 15 minutes down the road. the character development during these 6 season allowed for cartoon characters that were in most instances, more realistic than any 3 dimensional characters on other live action sitcoms.

So that's why I am such a bitter fan. Because in these last 8 or so seasons(at this point I don't even remember when I stopped watching) the show has fell into a formulaic rut - Where instead of having one coherent storyline throughout the 3 acts structure, it would become three separate storylines that were barely held together by the thinnest plot point. Resorting to Homer screaming incoherently or stale visual gags, or even worse, overkill of celebrity cameos, the show became a parody of its former self.

Now from what I've heard, the movie brings back writers from the golden years, which bodes well. I've really refrained from reading anything into the movie as I'd rather go in blind and hope for the best. Hopefully I will be pleasantly surprised and once again my love for those yellow skinned inhabitants of Springfield USA will be reignited...

If not, then I always have those 6 magical seasons of bliss... where every joke meant something special and would eventually be repeated ad naeseum by me...

Eggs act lee... d'oh!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

you are one jaded mofo...