Wednesday, July 18, 2007

"You're gonna need a bigger boat..."


I've gone on record quite a few times as saying that Jaws is my all time favorite movie. It's nothing I'm embarrased about, nor should I be. Honestly I couldn't remember the 1st time I've seen it, but since that time the number has reached into the 100's.


I just saw the trailer for a new documentary called The Shark is Still Working and it looks awesome. I used to own the special edition laserdisc of Jaws, and there was some good stuff in there, but until now it seems like no one really took the time and effort to really get the story straight. I'm sure most of you know the story of the shark not working correctly and how Spielbergo had to reimagine this movie about this 25 foot shark, without really showing the shark, and for that he created what to me is the most suspenseful movie of all time. I still get the creeps when Chief Brodie is chumming and Bruce(the shark's aptly titled nickname... named after the lawyer for the film) pops his snout up - Roy Sheider's slow walk into the cabin of the boat and those 6 words... "You're gonna need a bigger boat." Just absolute perfection.


My favorite scene in the movie is when Matt Hooper, Quint and Brodie are exchanging scar stories, and Quint, brilliantly played by Robert Shaw (for another great performance I recommend The Taking of Pelham One Two Three) tells the story of the USS Indianapolis, and how it was sank by a Japanese torpedo after it delivered the bomb, "the Hiroshima bomb." It's 5 minutes of acting 101. Recently I went up to Tampa to audition for Who Wants to be a Millionaire - they gave us two tests, one for general knowledge and one for the Netflix shows... There was a Jaws question and it was "What boat did Mr Quint serve aboard..." Well I passed the Netflix test and am hoping to make it onto the show, and that was a pretty good omen for me.


I'll watch a lot of movies when they come on, but I'll always watch Jaws. It was recently on Universal HD and I recorded it and watched different parts of it 6-8 times over the coarse of two weeks... Kelli would laugh everytime she walked into the living room and it was on. "Have I ever told you Jaws is my favorite movie?" is a running joke in our house.


So check out the trailer, and hopefully when it gets a release date it will have a South Florida showing. This is one I will definately check out.


And I think I want to name my next cat Quint come to think about it.

No comments: